Turns out you don’t have to travel too far for some good ole southern cookin’. You don’t even have to be a hipster at Smorgasburg in Brooklyn to get your hands on a vegan delicacy such as Chicken & Waffles. This is a great dish you can make for your friends and family, for breakfast, or dinner. I’ve always been a fan of clashing, unexpected savory/sweet flavors.
This vegan recipe is actually a modification from one of Bobby Flay’s Throwdown show competitions, but without the dairy/buttermilk, or meat. There are plenty of recipes out there for vegan waffles but let’s be honest, we’re hungry. For time purposes, decided to try Van’s (Totally Natural) gluten-free waffles with Gardein seven-grain crispy tenders (found at Target). The result, outstanding! Prepare your mouth’s field of tastebuds for a battle between this savory-sweet delight.
Ingredients $24.00 (4 Servings)
- Earth Balance butter slightly softened 12 tbsps
- pink peppercorn 1 tbsp
- vegan honey 3 tbsps
- salt 1/2 tsp
- pepper 1/2 tsp
- horseradish 1 tbsp
- Dijon mustard 1 tsp
- pure maple syrup 1 cup
- Meatless chicken Seven-grain crispy tenders from Gardein (GMO-free) 9 ozs
- garlic powder 1 tbsp
- onion powder 1 tbsp
- paprika 1 tbsp
- cayenne 2 tsps
- vegan waffles Van's Brand, or comparable 4 units
For Fried Chicken:
- Mix together garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne and pepper. Sprinkle to coat both sides 4-6 pieces of seven-grain crispy Gardein chicken.
- Place chicken on baking sheet in oven on 450 degrees, for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, flipping once.
For Pink Peppercorn Butter:
- Combine butter, pink peppercorns, vegan honey, salt, pepper in a blender until combined.
For Maple-Horseradish Syrup:
- In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, horseradish, and mustard.
- Prepare waffles as instructed before plating, top with 2 pieces of chicken, dollop of butter, and then pour syrup on top.