Missing out on your favorite creamy Fettuccine Alfredo dish after going vegan? Don’t fret, plentiful options with what you can recreate with cashew nut cheese and a little almond (or coconut) milk! You can still indulge all you want, and not feel ‘as’ guilty with the caloric intake you’d experience with a heavier dairy-version. What’s better is you can further experiment with a plethora of pasta, and veggie, combinations. Try it out tonight for a hearty meal you can experience with a friend, or for the entire family.
Ingredients $16.00 (6 Servings)
- Raw Cashews (soaked in water 3-4 hours, if possible) 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
- water (bring to a boil) 3/4 cups
- Almond (or coconut) milk unsweetened 1 cup
- Garlic clove chopped 1 unit
- Olive Oil extra-virgin 1 tbsp
- Nutritional yeast 2 tbsps
- Zucchini chopped fine 1 unit
- Green Onions chopped fine 2 units
- Pasta (any traditional pasta) 1 cup
- Vegetable oil 1 tbsp
- Sherry Cooking wine 2 tbsps
- Shallots chopped fine 2 units
- Parsley chopped fine 3 tbsps
- Chik'n Strips MorningStar Farms Meal Starters 8 ozs
- Drain raw cashews (keeping 3/4 water from soaking), and combine first seven ingredients in food processor (cashews, lemon juice, water, almond milk, garlic and olive oil) until creamy-smooth.
- Prepare pasta by cooking per packaged directions. (Happened to have gluten-free pasta on hand but would have preferred using fettuccine)
- Add vegetable oil to pan, heat and combine chicken, zucchini, carrots, shallots, green onions. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add cooking wine to veggies and let simmer 1 minute longer.
- Finally, add cooked pasta to veggie/chicken. Mix, add cashew garlic-alfredo sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
(NOTE: Mixture of veggies can include peas, parsnip, cauliflower, etc. Any pasta can work, especially penne, fettuccine, or even zucchini pasta if using a spiral vegetable slicer.)